What Is This Feeling?

This moving essay is killing me. Not because it's so much work, but because of what my topic is. I decided to do a very personal essay, one about my struggle with an eating disorder. Looking at all these images of emaciated girls and boys is bringing back a lot of really tough memories. For someone who hasn't personally gone through the life-altering terror that is anorexia or bulimia, it is truly horrifying to recant your life from that time. When I was looking at photos in class one day I almost started to cry; not necessarily because the photos were so disturbing, but because I still feel some sick desire to be as skinny as the girls in the pictures. It made me feel sick to my stomach when these terrible thoughts ran through my head. How could I let myself think that emaciated look is beautiful? It is vile and unnatural, and so unbelievably bad for your body. With my friends, I was able to stop hurting myself and get better. Hopefully, my moving essay will help people with ED's see that they can get help if they just tell people they have a problem.

- Katie

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

You are so much braver than I am...I thought about doing my essay about this exact thing but I realized that I was too scared. You're right, I can't think of many more horrifying things than my life/weight/thoughts that still remain from when I had an eating disorder. Just from reading this post, your essay is probably going to make me cry, for the same reasons that you almost did.

Chucho said...

"How could I let myself think that emaciated look is beautiful?"

...because society tells us it's beautiful.

Post a Comment