my mash-up

For my mash-up, I decided to combine a Shel Silverstein poem with zombies. Here is the final result:

Whatif by Shel Silverstein & Katie Inglese

Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif a zombie came in my room?
Whatif it stole all my clothes?
Whatif it pretended to be me?
Whatif my parents never even realized I was gone?
Whatif it went to school pretending to be me?
Whatif it went to my classes and forgot my homework?
Whatif it flunked my last test- on purpose?
Whatif it threw all my clothes in the mud?
Whatif it wore clown makeup on a first date?
Whatif my date really thought that zombie was me?
Whatif zombie-me ate his brain?
Whatif that zombie imposter had me arrested for murder?
Whatif that sombie ruined my life just for fun?
But if a zombie were to eat my brain
the nighttime Whatifs would never strike again!

I decided to choose this as my mach-up because I really wanted to do something literary. Originally, I had planned on using a chapter out of "The Great Gatsby", a classic piece of American literature and a personal favorite of mine. After some careful consideration, I decided I couldn't bring myself to essentially destroy one of my personal favorite pieces of literature. I settled on something slightly more innocent and malleable, like a poem. I didn't feel nearly as bad manipulating those words to become slightly more comical.

0 comments:

Post a Comment